Virgin Olive Oil Online Tasting Course
Welcome to the Virgin Olive Oil Online Basic Tasting Course developed by ESAO, the Olive Oil School of Spain. In this online course we give you the keys to learn how to taste Virgin Olive Oil.
Mejor aove de productor
The course consists of three chapters in which you you will learn the most important aspects to become a good virgin olive oil taster. The course is designed to learn at your own rythm and in a pleasant way.
The concepts are presented in a clear and easy-to-understand way, accompanied by tutorials and explanations.
Become an expert olive oil taster.
Virgin Olive Oil Tasting Course developed by ESAO – Olive Oil School of Spain, includes the following materials:
Chapter 1: Introduction to tasting
Chapter one presents the main concepts for learning how to taste Virgin Olive Oils. It is appropriate for olive oil professionals as well as anyone who loves good food.
Within chapter 1 you will find answers to these questions:
- Why do we need an official tasting glass?
- What are the watch-glasses for?
- How much olive oil should each tasting glass contain?
- What is the correct temperature for the oil when it is going to be tasted?
- How should a tasting room be set up?
- Why are apples, sparkling water, or bread sticks used? And teaspoons?
- When is the best time for an olive oil tasting session?
- What is a taster?
- What makes a good taster?
- In what physical and mental condition should a taster be?
- What body organs are used in a tasting session?
- How do you do an olive oil tasting session?
Included are the following materials:
- Access to an explanatory video through which you will follow the theory at your own rythm. The video includes tutorials with various exercises proposals that will help you to further integrate all the concepts.
- 10 watch-glasses (glass covers)
- 1 test tube
- 1 excellent extra virgin olive oil sample
- PDF document including all the information from the chapter.
- 6 official extra-virgin olive oil tasting glasses
Chapter 2: Negative attributes
Chapter two begins with the questions that were raised at the end of Chapter One and deals with the following topics:
- Using the ESAO – Olive Oil School of Spain Olive Oil Profile Sheet
- Identifying the most important positive attributes in olive oil
- Recognizing the 5 negative attributes that are considered in virgin olive oil
- Consideration of what causes negative attributes, i.e. defects, in olive oil
- Establishing the ability to recognize defects through samples.
Materials included within Chapter 2:
- Access to a 52-minute video that includes the theoretical and practical tutorials which explain all the chapter topics and guides you through the entire sequence of practice tastings.
- 1 sample of premium quality extra virgin olive oil
- 5 samples of defective olive oil corresponding to the 5 main defects according to the International Olive Council (IOC) profile sheet: wet wood, musty, winey-vinegary, fusty-muddy sediment and rancid
- 1 Olive Oil School of Spain Olive Oil Profile Sheet
- 1 Olive Oil School of Spain pen
- Stickers for the exercises that we propose within the chapter
- PDF document with all the information from the chapter
Chapter 3: Positive attributes and Food Pairing
Chapter three addresses the abilities to:
- Establish in our mind the aromatic patterns of the main positive attributes of virgin olive oils.
- Interpret the information the positive attributes convey. For example, if it smells like ripe banana, what does this indicate?
- Describe oils properly. For instance, what does it mean when we say an oil is sweet or balanced? Understanding the terms used in the profile sheets is very important and you will learn to use them correctly.
- You will become familiar with two of the most widely consumed olive oil varieties.
- We will also introduce you to the exciting world of food pairing focused on extra virgin olive oil.
Included within Chapter 3 are the following materials:
- Access to a 36-minute video that includes the theoretical and practical tutorials which explain all the chapter topics and guides you through the entire sequence of practice tastings.
- 2 samples of premium quality extra virgin olive oil of the picual and arbequina varieties
- 2 ESAO – Olive Oil School of Spain Olive Oil Profile Sheets